On Fri Apr 18 09:00:12 2014, satis...@mportal.com wrote:
> We are not sure if it is a Apple iOS bug. Below is our observation.
> - If we sign the profile using the 0.9.8 version, and download the
> profile from an https location, the iOS profile installer shows the
> profile as "Verified"
> - If we sign the same profile using the
> 1.0.1 version and download the profile from an https location, the
> iOS profile installer shows the profile as "Not verified"
>
> The
> only difference between these two versions of openSSL visibly is,
> the order in which the certificate is listed in the profile. Is
> there a difference in these two versions that causes the difference
> in this certificate listing order? Is there a way we can make the
> order same to make it work while still using the latest version
> 1.0.1 of openSSL?

Well technically the order should be irrelevant as it is an ASN.1 SET OF
construct so it's a bug in the implementation.

However there is a workaround which requires a minor code modification. In the
file pk7_smime.c in the function PKCS7_sign comment out the line:

if(!(flags & PKCS7_NOCERTS))

(so certificates are added unconditionally). This is IMHO a bug because the
behaviour of PKCS7_sign with PKCS7_NOCERTS doesn't match the documented
behaviour. It is only documented to exclude the signer's certificate, not all
certificates (and if you want to exclude everything you'd just pass a NULL for
the additional certificates).

Then your command line needs to be modifed to include the -nocerts option and
include all certificates (including the signer) in the correct order passed to
the -certfile option.

Steve.