<snip>
> I expect that server will refuse connection because of invalid client cert
> and required client certificate.
>
> I see the following error in stderr of the server:
<snip>
> verify error:num=7:certificate signature failure
<snip>
> but the server does not close the connection.
> What's wrong with my test?

Your expectations. Both s_client and s_server were designed as test/debug
tools. They set the certverify callback to display results but continue the
connection, not abort, in order to allow catching any other problems.
s_client does not abort if the server cert is invalid and s_server does not
abort
if the client cert is invalid. Although, if you 'require' client with -Verify
uppercase
on s_server and the client sends *no* cert it does abort.