Note that this is just how to help me, not a consensus view from the
whole team, though I have no doubt much of it will be helpful to the
team, too.

1. Triage RT (https://rt.openssl.org/).

RT has been neglected for a long time. People could usefully go
through it and identify:

a) Tickets that can be closed

b) Tickets that should have action taken, and how urgent that action is.

If a ticket describes a potential security issue, then please don't
just announce it to the list. Instead send it to
openssl-secur...@openssl.org.

In order to avoid duplication of effort, perhaps someone should set up
a github repo (or something else) assigning ranges to volunteers? It
might also be useful to use the same repo to hold the triage results
(so things can be ticked off as they are actioned).

See also points 3, 4 and 5.

2. Triage Github pull requests

There are less of these, and I do try to look at them from time to
time, nevertheless I think we are behind.

3. Write fixes

Where an issue does not come with a patch, write a fix for it. Please
try to remain consistent with local style (yes, I know style is all
over the place, sorry about that, but there's no need to make it
worse).

Please make sure fixes build and that "make test" passes.

4. Convert fixes to pull requests

Pull requests are the easiest way to deal with incoming code. Note:
please _don't_ make public pull requests for security issues!

5. Port pull requests across all branches

Whilst it is often possible to cherry-pick pulls across the branches,
it also fairly often fails. Having someone do the legwork to fix that
is very helpful (or say that the pull works across all branches).

6. Write new tests

Our test suite sucks. More tests is better.

NOTE: I have not suddenly got more time to deal with OpenSSL stuff, so
this process may well result in a backlog, but it will certainly make
the use of what time I have more efficient.