On Sat, Jul 5, 2014 at 4:03 PM, Steven M. Schweda <s...@antinode.info> wrote:

> From: "Salz, Rich" <rs...@akamai.com>
>
> > There's a bunch of hacks in apps/openssl.c to work around some old VMS
> rele=
> > ases; the coment is dated 2011-03-22.
> > I am going to delete it.
>
>    Thanks for the notice.
>
>    Why?  Is your primary goal to remove all support for VMS, or only to
> cause defective behavior on most/all Alpha systems when 64-bit pointers
> are used?  Does this code cause any performance or other portability
> problems?  Is the comment too confusing?  Does this (rather small, I
> thought) "bunch of hacks" fluff up the source code excessively?  If
> _you_ don't need it, then it's not worth keeping?
>
> > Speak up now if you can justify keeping it.
>
>    I know nothing, but I'd guess that few VMS users follow this forum,
> so you may be unlikely to get a response here from anyone (else).  The
> problem being worked around is not confined to "old VMS releases", it's
> in a particular compiler (or set of compilers), which. I believe, may
> still be widely used (for appropriate values of "widely").  Yes, HP
> should provide a compiler without this bug, and all users should obtain
> and use it.  This, I fear, is a low-probability outcome.
>
>    If the Voices (or even wise judgement) tell you that this ugly blot
> on the OpenSSL code must be purged, then you might consider replacing it
> with a comment which explains the original problem, the work-around, and
> the last release which still contained it, so that any poor slob who is
> affected by it in the future will be able to find easily the (hard-won)
> solution after you discard it.

What about replacing it all with something like

#if defined(OPENSSL_SYS_VMS)
int app_main(int Argc, char *Argv[]) /* arguments may need to be munged
depending on build */
#else
int main(int Argc, char *argv[])
#endif

and somebody that cares and can actually build/test on affected systems
needs to make it work before 1.0.3 is released.  Version control has the
old code.  The code gets decrapified by just a little bit and VMS-savants
have guidance on what they need to do.