On Thu, Aug 07, 2014, Tomas Mraz wrote:

> Hi,
> during the review of OpenSSL commits I found this one:
> https://github.com/openssl/openssl/commit/22a10c89d7c3f951339c385d57cc8fd23c0a800b
>
> There is unfortunately not much detail in the commit message. Could this
> be a possible security issue? Can you please clear that up?

The commit log message is somewhat unfortunate ;-)

The commit combines some cosmetic changes with a correction to see if there
is enough room for two extensions: renegotiation and SRTP.

In practice an overrun is not possible becaue at most a few bytes is written
to a BUF_MEM structure which is grown to 16k calling BUF_MEM_grow which
actually ends up allocating additional space making it 21848 bytes in length.

Steve.