Jeffrey Walton <noloa...@gmail.com>:

> Is there a way to compile without the patch? I think I would rather
> 'config no=ssl3' and omit the additional complexity. Its additional
> protocol complexity and heartbleed is still fresh in my mind.

There's no way to compile without the patch, other than reverting it. It's
a tiny amount of extra logic.

Disabling SSL 3.0 is a good idea, but note the TLS_FALLBACK_SCSV also
addresses similar downgrade attacks to TLS 1.1 or TLS 1.0 (when you should
rather be using TLS 1.2).

Also, are there any test cases that accompany the patch? I'm trying to
> figure out when, exactly, SSL_MODE_SEND_FALLBACK_SCSV needs to be set
> (using the sources as a guide).

If you don't use fallback retries (in which you *intentionally* avoid the
latest protocol versions), you don't need to set it at all.

Presumably I should update the documentation to be more explicit about
this. Where did you look for documentation? Do you think that changing the
SSL_set_mode man page (SSL_CTX_set_mode.pod) would be sufficient, or do you
think that adding guidance to ssl.h is equally (or more) important?

Bodo