On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 12:35 PM, mancha <manc...@zoho.com> wrote:

> If so, here's my quick & dirty back-of-envelope calculation (mod bound)
> for the probability the gcd of two randomly chosen integers x,y is at
> most k:
>
> k       p(gcd(x,y)<=k)
> -       --------------
> 1       60.79%
> 2       75.99%
> 3       82.75%
> 4       86.55%
> 5       88.98%
> 6       90.67%
> 7       91.91%
> 8       92.86%
> 9       93.61%
> 10      94.21%
>
> As can be seen, the probability is quite high the gcd will be small so
> (p-1)(q-1) ~ lcm((p-1)(q-1)) removing the above benefit.
>
> But it's the end of the week and the neurons need respite so please let
> me know if I'm missing something.

You are correct, or at least very close.  I was testing for GCD(p-1, q-1)
== 4, when I should have been testing for GCD(p-1, q-1) == 2, since p-1 and
q-1 are known to be even.  Fixing that, I see that the probability of
having GCD(p-1, q-1) == 2 for random odd numbers is a bit over 60% in the
python runs.  This will result most likely in a bit less a 2X runtime
penalty for determining the primes.

Bill