Dear Stephen and Victor,

On Thu, Dec 24, 2015 at 1:37 AM, Viktor Dukhovni <openssl-us...@dukhovni.org
> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 23, 2015 at 10:18:55PM +0000, Dr. Stephen Henson wrote:
>
> > That's an interesting question. What digest requires this? Is the output
> > length arbitrary or do the standards specify a maximum size?

I mean the gost-mac digest (implemented in the ccgost engine,
engines/ccgost/gost_crypt.c).
It allows the output to vary from 1 to 8 bytes, though 4 bytes is the most
common value.

We've added the control values implementing the variable length in our
repository (https://github.com/gost-engine/engine)

> With SHA3, NIST differentiates between fixed-length hash functions
> and variable-length XOFs.
>
> Introduction of variable length digests into OpenSSL would break
> applications that expect the EVP_MD family of functions to produce
> fixed length (input data indepdendent) results.
>
> If there's a new construct whose output size depends on the input
> data, that probably requires a new family of functions.

Well, the gost-mac is treated specially itself and may be it can be
simplified introducing the new construction.

Thank you!

--
SY, Dmitry Belyavsky