ENGINE_load_rdrand() creates a new engine, it adds it/registers it and then
frees it. Looking further into these functions, the registration does NOT
create a new object and then copy the data into it, so the registration is
based on an object that it's later released.

Based on this[1] tutorial on using RNG engines, after ENGINE_load_rdrand(),
ENGINE_by_id() is called, which looks in the registration list, which has a
reference to a freed object.

Am I missing something? Is there an actual logic error, or is there something I
did not understand?

Best regards,
Cata

[1] https://wiki.openssl.org/index.php/Random_Numbers#Hardware