In message
<db5pr04mb1302cc1b0c15fb9f210419e2ee...@db5pr04mb1302.eurprd04.prod.outlook.com>
 on Mon, 25 Jul 2016 09:45:05 +0000, Catalin Vasile <cata.vas...@nxp.com> said:

cata.vasile> Hi,

Hi

cata.vasile> I keep building/testing features for OpenSSL for an embedded
system and I need to be able to send my work on the board.
cata.vasile> The build scenario is something like this:
cata.vasile> 1. make/build
cata.vasile> 2. install in temporary NFS shared folder
cata.vasile> 3. on the board I run a bash script that just does a copy in the
regular /usr folder
cata.vasile>
cata.vasile> On older releases, the Configure script in OpenSSL had a
"--install_prefix" flag that, when "make install" was issued, it installed all
the things in the specified install prefix, but the whole library saw itself as
being installed in /usr, although I might have been installed it in /home/....
cata.vasile> When I issued the copy script on the board, the files were
actually copied at /usr, so the library knew a correct location when ran on the
board.
cata.vasile> Using the "--prefix" on the older build got the library in the
correct location, but when copied on the board the binaries ran nuts because it
was yelling "why aren't my files in /home/...".
cata.vasile> Now on the newer builds I can't find "--install_prefix", and
setting "--prefix" "--openssldir" and "--libdir" makes my "make install" build
running in a lot of errors.
cata.vasile>
cata.vasile> Long story short: How do I install the newest OpenSSL version in a
temporary folder, but also make the system that uses it see it in the regular
/usr folder after I copy it there?

The following note from CHANGES answers most of your question:

  *) The INSTALL_PREFIX Makefile variable has been renamed to
     DESTDIR.  That makes for less confusion on what this variable
     is for.  Also, the configuration option --install_prefix is
     removed.
     [Richard Levitte]

There are also a few lines in INSTALL that talk about this:

     Package builders who want to configure the library for standard
     locations, but have the package installed somewhere else so that
     it can easily be packaged, can use

       $ make DESTDIR=/tmp/package-root install         # Unix
       $ mms/macro="DESTDIR=TMP:[PACKAGE-ROOT]" install ! OpenVMS

     The specified destination directory will be prepended to all
     installation target paths.

Also, --prefix and --openssldir don't work exactly like before.  They
are not as inter-dependence as they used to be.  You will find them
documented in INSTALL as well.

Cheers,
Richard

--