In message <42bcb3fd-f5e2-404e-8981-e5cd304f4...@unh.newhaven.edu> on Mon, 22
Aug 2016 04:16:22 +0000, "Schmicker, Robert" <rsc...@unh.newhaven.edu> said:

rschm2> Hello,
rschm2>
rschm2> I am working on building a new crypto module that works with openssl.
rschm2> I have looked through the source code and found the /crypto/ folder
rschm2> which would be where this module would reside. However, if I duplicate
rschm2> a folder such as md5 within the /crypto/ folder and rename it to say
rschm2> “helloworld”, helloworld does not show up to be compiled in the
rschm2> makefile. I edited line 856 to include “helloworld” in the config
rschm2> file. What is the proper way for the config file, in the root
rschm2> directory, to add “helloworld” into the makefile.
rschm2>
rschm2> Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Assuming we're talking about the master branch (i.e. upcoming version
1.1), then you need to add "helloworld" to the 'sdirs' configuration.
In line 250 in Configure, you will find this line:

    $config{sdirs} = [

Simply add "helloworld" to the values you find following that line.

Assuming we're talking about the version 1.0.2 series, then the
procedure is approximately the same.  There, you have to look up this
line in Makefile.org:

    SDIRS=  \

... and add helloworld to its values.

Cheers,