Thank you! I think I understand. (Sounds like an ugly and hardly necessary
complication to me – not to mention that there might not be a filesystem to
keep those around, but…)
—
Regards,
Uri

On 11/16/16, 5:06 PM, "openssl-dev on behalf of Dr. Stephen Henson"
<openssl-dev-boun...@openssl.org on behalf of st...@openssl.org> wrote:

    On Wed, Nov 16, 2016, Richard Levitte wrote:

    > If I understand correctly, the intention is to avoid having to use
    > ENGINE_load_private_key() directly or having to say '-keyform ENGINE'
    > to the openssl commands, and to avoid having to remember some cryptic
    > key identity to give with '-key'.  Instead of all that, just give the
    > name of a .pem file with '-key' and if that file contains some kind of
    > magic information that the engine can understand, it will dig out a
    > reference to the hw protected key.
    >
    > Many years ago, I was thinking of something along the same lines, but
    > with a .pem file that would just have a few headers, holding the name
    > of the intended engine and the key identity, something like this:

    Yes me too. Though if you're doing that something like "ENGINE PRIVATE KEY"
    or "OPENSSL ENGINE PRIVATE KEY" as just "PRIVATE KEY" is associated with
    PKCS#8.

    Steve.