On Tue, 2016-11-22 at 14:32 +0100, Richard Levitte wrote:
> In message <1479820334.8937.31.ca...@infradead.org> on Tue, 22 Nov 2016
> 13:12:14 +0000, David Woodhouse <dw...@infradead.org> said:
>
> dwmw2> On Tue, 2016-11-22 at 14:06 +0100, Richard Levitte wrote:
> dwmw2> >
> dwmw2> > Not sure I follow...  'file=/foo/bar/key.pem' is just a path /
> dwmw2> > parameter that the 'tpmkey' handler is free to interpret in whatever
> dwmw2> > way it sees fit.  For me as a user, it's just a string.  For all I
> dwmw2> > care, the URI could just as well be
> 'tpmkey:id=L2Zvby9iYXIva2V5LnBlbQ=='
> dwmw2> > That doesn't say anything about the contents of /foo/bar/key.pem, not
> dwmw2> > more than file:/foo/bar/key.pem does, or even if there actually is a
> dwmw2> > file /foo/bar/key.pem.  Maybe I misunderstand what you're after...
> dwmw2>
> dwmw2> Where files are involved, I do not want the application to be told:
> dwmw2>  pkcs8:/foo/bar/key
> dwmw2>  pkcs1:/foo/bar/key
> dwmw2>  pkcs12:/foo/bar/key or
> dwmw2>  tpmkey:/foo/bar/key
> dwmw2>
> dwmw2> I only want the application to be told "/foo/bar/key"
>
> Ah, yeah, ok, so basically have OpenSSL support the "TSS KEY BLOB" PEM
> type would be a way to go, wouldn't you say?  That, or add functionality
> to have PEM content handlers added dynamically, one for each PEM
> content type.
> Just please, that "pass the BIO" hack...  sorry, I'm not a supporter.

I think the number of "new" PEM formats is going to be vanishingly
small, and it's OK to have knowledge of them hard-coded in OpenSSL
rather than having a fully dynamic mechanism.

Doing it dynamically would be painful — either the appropriate engine
needs to be loaded already, or we need a mapping from PEM 'BEGIN'
string to the engine name somehow.

> dwmw2> It should work out what the contents are for *itself*. Whether they be
> dwmw2> PEM, DER, PKCS#n, TPM-wrapped blobs, or anything else.
>
> Yeah, got it...  my thinking was on a tachnical level, that
> 'whatever.pem' would have to be handled by OpenSSL itself (or in URI
> terms, by the 'file' scheme handler), while 'tpmkey:file=whatever.pem'
> would be handled by the 'tpmkey' scheme handler, which is a different
> story to me.

Yes, they end up being routed to the same engine via entirely different
paths. Both need resolving, and we need not to conflate the two.

--
dwmw2