>I can't reproduce this. But on the other hand I don't have previous
    >installation on --prefix.

But did you add “enable-tls1_3” to your config?

    >I mean I would guess this is because test
    >program picks shared libraries at --prefix locations instead of just
    >built ones, and those don't recognize 19-mac-then-encrypt.conf options.
    >Originally shlib_wrap.sh had DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES to make it work, but
    >it appears to be gone now... You should be able to confirm this by
    >temporarily renaming --prefix location and running 'make test' or
    >forcing install without testing...

I forced the install without testing, and then re-ran the entire build and
test. I’m getting the very same problem.  I must also say that I’ve been
tracking 1.1 branch for a very long time, always using this approach (without
even forcing the install – it did not seem confused regarding what libraries to
link against).

The only thing that changed for this build now was addition of “enable-tls1_3”
config option (and of course, pulling the latest stuff from the master).

Removing “enable-tls1_3” and reconfiguring makes this error disappear. So I
think it’s somewhere in tls1_3 code. ;-)