> On Jan 13, 2017, at 6:34 PM, Michel <michel.sa...@free.fr> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> FWIW, just sharing my opinion :
>
> Thanks to the team, OpenSSL comes with lots of powerful tools.
> They are not always easy to use, but some have no equivalent and are very
> helpful to test, debug, experiment, learn … all things that looks to me as
> their primary interest.
> Among them is the 'enc' command.
> I would like it to be as usefull as other tools but was a little disappointed
> at first, not only because it lacks some important feature (iteration count,
> standard KDF, ...) but above all because of the way the salt is handled.
>
> I believe it is better to be consistent about the use of the command : if a
> salt was given to encrypt, it should be given to decrypt (as would be the
> case for the iv if PBKDF2 is supported).
> If we agree on that, the salt would be stored with the encrypted data, *ONLY*
> when it was generated on the fly.
> It will allow us not only to decrypt the data with the right key and iv (not
> currently possible), but also use OpenSSL to decrypt raw data encrypted by
> other software(s) using the original password.
>
> I was able to work around all that but I now feel that next step will
> probably be to add some more 'magic' (unfortunately not from Pixar/Disney :-).
> I have the conviction it would be better NOT to enforce the proprietary
> nature of the file.
> For example a companion file (same name, different extension) can be use
> instead.
> As I understand there is lot of implications beyond my scope and that
> allowing to work with external raw data, is not necessarily the main concern
> of other people, it could be easier,
> depending what will be implemented, to just have a new parameter (or another
> command tool ?) able to separate raw encrypted data from all the new 'magic'
> (kind of import/export).
>
> Regards,
>
> Michel.

The enc command is really just an example, IMO. If you want something that's
useful for production purposes (and even follows standards!), I recommend
looking at the cms command. It'll encrypt, decrypt, sign (and verify
signatures) data in a standards-based format. It's not the easiest thing to
use, but it's better to focus on something like that, rather than a proprietary
format that was never really intended for real data exchange.

TOM