Ljkikh9

On 09-Jul-2017 12:45 PM, "Richard Levitte" <levi...@openssl.org> wrote:

In message <CAKH_Ld4faVY8v9RY=OdfZzukHt7APQz5mV_qmsbGgyDhheb1HA@mail.
gmail.com> on Sat, 8 Jul 2017 23:22:28 -0400, Matthew Stickney <
mtstick...@gmail.com> said:

mtstickney> Back in 2010, there was some discussion on this list of adding
code to
mtstickney> load certificates from the system cert store on Windows by
default,
mtstickney> since the default verification paths typically don't point to
anything
mtstickney> (this was ticket #2158, which was ultimately rejected). I have
some
mtstickney> interest in picking up where this was left off, but I'm a
little out
mtstickney> of my depth and have some questions.
mtstickney>
mtstickney> Last time around, the sticking point was certificate purposes:
we
mtstickney> don't want to add a certificate that's only trusted for client
mtstickney> authentication as trusted for server authentication. I still
need to
mtstickney> figure out how to extract purposes from the windows certs, but
I'm
mtstickney> also having a hard time seeing how you'd set x509 purposes in
openssl.
mtstickney> Where should I be looking?

I'm don't know the Windows cert API enough to know if there are
purpose settings outside of the cert itself, so I won't be able to
answer that.

However, in the cert itself, there may be an extension called Extended
Key Usage.  Have a look at RFC 5280, 4.2.1.12 [0] for more info on
them.  You set them like any other extension, when creating a cert.

Also, regarding retrieving arbitrary stuff (like certificates) from
arbitrary sources (such as the system cert store), I'd like to point
out the CAPI engine (engines/e_capi.c), which does have such
functionality (it's quite a hack, in the most positive sense of the
word), and to the recently added OSSL_STORE module (which was created
for exactly this sort of purpose).  The latter is still evolving, but
the base line is in place.

Cheers,
Richard

-----