In message <5ba62036-bd2e-41b7-adf9-25c6c116e...@akamai.com> on Mon, 11 Jun
2018 16:03:48 +0000, "Salz, Rich" <rs...@akamai.com> said:

rsalz> >    I have zero idea what the doc says, because I haven't seen the docs
rsalz>     yet.  Did I miss the PR?
rsalz>
rsalz> No.  It's posted here on the mailing list for discussion and reposted
here:

Ah, found it in the archive...  I somehow glossed over it before,
sorry.

rsalz> +If B<-pass8bit> is given, the password is taken to be encoded in the
current
rsalz> +locale, but is still used directly; note that
rsalz> +a future release might automatically convert the password to valid UTF-8
rsalz> +encoding if this flag is given.

Except that, because of the way PKCS12_gen_mac() works, this isn't
true.  If the input pass phrase looks like a UTF-8 encoded string
(because there are valid characters in other encodings that will like
like UTF-8 byte sequences), it will be used as if -passutf8 was given
instead.

Cheers,
Richard

--