In message <aed26fde-117e-04ad-d8e7-df84e257b...@openssl.org> on Tue, 25 Sep
2018 14:11:11 +0100, Matt Caswell <m...@openssl.org> said:

> On 25/09/18 13:54, Richard Levitte wrote:

> >> Exactly. That is why I am proposing that each time we create a branch it
> >> is associated with a major release ONLY. You can't have two branches
> >> with the same major release because that means you cannot make MINOR
> >> changes on the older branch - even ones that we would historically have
> >> allowed.
> >
> > Hmmmm?  If we have three major branches 5.0.0, 6.0.0 and 7.0.0, I
> > don't quite see what would stop us, technically.
>
> Is this exactly what I'm proposing? There is no problem if each major
> release is associated with a different branch. The problem comes if
> there are two branches on the SAME major version.

It seems I misread you, then.

The more I think about it, the more I agree with the MAJOR release
base for our branches, what I still don't quite catch on is your
thinking around the release on new MINOR releases...  you seem to say
that they shouldn't be allowed, at least under certain conditions, or
always, and question is then, what's the actual difference?

Cheers,
Richard

--
Richard Levitte         levi...@openssl.org