On 23/05/2019 16:31, Salz, Rich wrote:
>     > In private email, and
> https://github.com/openssl/openssl/pull/8886#issuecomment-494624313 the
> implication is that this was a policy.
>
>     AFAIK this is not the case.
>
> Is the comment wrong, either factually or because it is implementing
> something that isn't an official policy?

There have been no votes on changing official policy. I'm not aware of any
planned changes to the tooling, but maybe there are conversations I am unaware
of.

>> In the case of the fellows, they
>     represent the project directly so there can be no conflict.
>
> The OMC represents the project not individual fellows.  Fellows are employees
> of the OMC.  Therefore there can be conflicts. A hypothetical example, some
> hires a fellow or two to port OpenSSL to a new unique platform, not currently
> supported. The OMC doesn't want to support this platform, but it ends up in
> the source.

In that example the potential conflict of interest comes from the individual's
employment with the third party organisation, not because they are fellows.

Matt