Key assurance  really depends on what you are doing, so I don't think this is
quite true.
For example if you generate a key using a valid algorithm (that is validated by
a lab), then there is already an assurance that the key is valid without
needing to run EVP_PKEY_check().

There are many operations that don't need EVP_PKEY_check, but they may need a
sub check such as
EVP_PKEY_public_check, EVP_PKEY_param_check, EVP_PKEY_private_check or
EVP_PKEY_pairwise_check (or some combination of those).
Keys (and certs) that are received from another entity should be validated
unless there is some other mechanism for establishing that the key is trusted.