Hi, I'm trying to compile openssl v0.9.1c on Solaris v7 x86,
with gcc v2.8.1 and I'm getting the following errors:

gcc -E -DSOL asm/rm86unix.cpp | sed 's/^#.*//' > asm/rm86-sol.s
as -o asm/rm86-sol.o asm/rm86-sol.s
Assembler: rmd-586.s
        aline 664       : syntax error
        aline 677       : syntax error
        aline 690       : syntax error
        aline 703       : syntax error
        aline 716       : syntax error
        aline 729       : syntax error
        aline 1378      : syntax error
        aline 1391      : syntax error
        aline 1404      : syntax error
        aline 1417      : syntax error
Too many errors - Goodbye
make[2]: *** [asm/rm86-sol.o] Error 127
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/local/home/martin/_Apache/tmp/openssl-0.9.1c/crypto/ripemd'

The only reference on the net I've found that suggests a solution
was this, for ssleay:

> [ssl-users] Solaris x86 problems: SOLVED
>
> Brandon Pulsipher ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
> Fri, 30 Oct 1998 11:02:18 -0700

> Thanks to those who offered such quick replies. I was able to get it. For
> anyone who might be interested in what the problem was:
>
> I had to add -lsocket and -lnsl to the EX_LIBS in the makefile.

The person was having exactly the same errors, albeit for different
ssl software. Anyhow, "-lsocket -lnsl" is already in the Makefiles
for openssl, so this isn't much of a solution in this case. If anyone
has a solution for this, I'm very much appreciate hearing it.

Thanks very much,

M.