Diarmuid Oneill wrote:
> I have found out that the 0.9.6 distributions of OSSL do not include
> Itanium assembly implementations for much (maybe any Itanium assembly
> at all, I didn't look) of the CPU intensive operations, including
> RSA/ModExp.  So OSSL uses the C routines which are, to say the least,
> not optimum.
> It's also worth remebering that the Itanium uses EPIC(explicitly
> parallel instruction computing) and that in order to see the
> performance it's capable of it must be programmed appropriately.  It
> has been suggested that if there were optimised assmebly routines for
> the Itanium it would certainly beat the P3 Mhz/Mhz.
> Anyone care to comment on this?

If you use GCC, the IA-64 target *IS* an optimizing compiler that can
re-order instruction for EPIC.  Or weren't you aware of the whole
concept of EPIC, compiler-based optimization?

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith   mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]    chat:thebs413
Engineer  AbsoluteValue Systems, Inc.  http://www.linux-wlan.org