At 10:27 24.10.2001 +1300, you wrote:

>On Wed 23 Oct 2001, Scott Klement wrote:
>
>>For a MS-Windows client that can connect using FTP over SSL, go here:
>>    http://www.wsftp.org/
>
>Thanks  Scott.  Much appreciated.  I do not especially want to write my own
>ssl/ftp client so I'll go with the above links.

But be warned that WS FTP uses only 40 bit export ciphers, at least the
versions which i checked (V6.6 and V7.0-Tryout). Another possibility is
CuteFTP, which uses strong encryption. A possible drawback with both
clients is that it is not possible to encrypt only the control connection
(in case when you only want to protect the password with SSL). This may
have a severe impact on the transfer rate. The third Windows-Client known
to me is Igloo FTP, which allows to encrypt only the control connection,
but is restricted to weak 40 bit export ciphers too.
A further drawback of WS FTP and Cute FTP is, that they use for the data
connection a new SSL session (no resumption of the SSL session of the
control connection). This leads to an unnecessary high load on the FTP
server. Some server may therefore even disallow the use of a separate
session for the data connection.
All in all there is IMHO no Windows FTP client, which could be currently
recommended unrestricted.
(CuteFTP: www.globalscape.com, Igloo FTP: www.iglooftp.com).
Ciao,
Richard
--
Dr. Richard W. Könning
Fujitsu Siemens Computers GmbH, EP LP COM 5