Salam,

Signing a request has no relation with signing requests.
To do so try what follows:

1/ Request Generation:
        openssl req -new -out cert.req

2/ request Signature:
        openssl req -ca -config path/openssl.cnf -in cert.req -out cert.pem

path: path to openssl.cnf configuration file (may be
/usr/share/ssl/openssl.cnf).
Verify that directories and your CA and key files in the openssl.cnf file are
correct.

bye

Haikel MEJRI
Security Enginner