On Mon, 7 Jan 2002, Mack Stevenson wrote:

> Hi Bear,
>
> Thank you for replying.
>

> > > - I gather that it's a bad idea to just encrypt all the files with the
> > > passphrase chosen by the user, right?
> >
> >You don't use the passphrase *directly*, but you should certainly
> >use the user's passphrase.  Run it through a cryptographic hash
> >and use the results as your encryption key.
>
> Can I use either the SHA or RIPEMD-160 hashes from openssl for this purpose?

You should use the PBE (Password Based Encryption) routines instead of
hashing directly. They are based on PKCS#5 (1.5 and 2.0) and PKCS#12. You
can take a look at my EVP tutorial (sorry but i don't know any other
:-P)...

http://spisa.act.uji.es/~juan/tutoriales/openssl/evp/

Unfortunately by now it's in spanish, but the code could help you. Hope
you can find it useful.

        Juan.