Hi,
OCSP stands for Online Certificate Status Protocol.  This, as the name
suggests specifies a protocol to obtain the Status of a Certificate Online.

There can be many reasons for a certificate to become invalid even before
its actual lifetime for which it was issued.  These may be Key Compromise
etc etc..
Each CA maintains a list of all the revoked certificates.  That list is
called as the Certificate Revocation List (CRL).

Our aim is to obtain the status of a certificate ie Valid or Invalid.  To be
more techincal Revoked or Not Revoked.

One method of knowing this is using the LDAP protocol.  Use this protocol a
user can download the CRL and check it with the Serial Number of the
Certificate in Question.  If the serial number is found, it means the
Certificate is revoked else the user can assume that the Certificate is not
revoked.

This requires a lot of memory in your system as the CRL size keep on
increasing.

For that reason the OCSP protocol was born.  This might be the author's
intention in bringing up this protocol.

There is a server called an OCSP responder.  This server will maintain all
the certificates that are revoked for a particular CA.  (The CA may itself
be an OCSP responder also).

User constructs an OCSP request as per the protocol with all the details of
the Certificate for which the revocation status has to be found.  The
responder will respond with the status of that certificate saying whether it
is GOOD, REVOKED or UNKOWN.

This is my understanding of the OCSP protocol.

I hope this helps...

Regards
Suram