> On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 08:15:04AM -0500, Mark H. Wood wrote:
> > On Thu, 4 Apr 2002, Lutz Jaenicke wrote:
> > > To be precise: according to the OpenSSL license every program that uses
> > > the library and advertises its SSL capabilities also must advertise the
> > > use of OpenSSL.
> >
> > Actually this is a problem -- it means you can't link OpenSSL libraries
> > with any GPLed code which you intend to distribute.  I'm facing the
> > necessity of having to use the not-quite-ready-for-prime-time GNUtls
> > package instead of OpenSSL for a project I'm contemplating, because it
> > builds on an application licensed under the GPL.  (And I have no idea how
> > hard it's going to be to get *both* compatibly installed on one box.)
> >
> > IIRC the Ethereal folk have also run up against this problem.
> >
> > I'm not asking for anything at this time; I just wanted to provide a
> > couple of data points.
>
> Besides the "OpenSSL" license itself large parts of the code were written
> by EAY and his license still applies without any option of the OpenSSL
> team to influence it as long as EAY does not change his license.
> The OpenSSL team members are aware of this problem but there is not much
> we can do for the reason stated above.
>
> Best regards,
>       Lutz

There is an answer to this of course.  It is do not link against
OpenSSL but instead load the libraries and functions manually as
OpenSSL does with the DSO interface.  Then the two programs are
separate with separate licenses.

 Jeffrey Altman * Sr.Software Designer      C-Kermit 8.0 available now!!!
 The Kermit Project @ Columbia University   includes Telnet, FTP and HTTP
 http://www.kermit-project.org/             secured with Kerberos, SRP, and
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]                OpenSSL. Interfaces with OpenSSH