On Thu, Apr 25, 2002, Nick Simicich wrote:

Maybe we can create a new list: how to manage a mailing list?

This stuff comes up now and then, esp. if some idiot creates
a loop or other idiots turn on their "out of office" garbage
replying to mailing lists.

> At 10:28 AM 2002-04-25 +0200, Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:
> >In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on Wed, 24 Apr
> >2002 18:45:33 -0400, Nick Simicich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
> >
> >njs> It looks like the Received headers are filtered at the openssl
> >njs> listserv -
> >
> >Nope.  See your own message (or this one) as an example :-).
> >
> >njs> it is impossible to tell where this spam really came from.
> >
> >It might mean that the spammer in question talked more or less
> >directly to OpenSSL's mailserver and perhaps faked a received header
> >while it was at it.
> >
> >Note that there is one trace:
> >
> >njs> >Received: by en5.engelschall.com (Sendmail 8.9.2) via SMTP
> >njs> >         from localhost1127.com id AAA26960; Wed, 24 Apr 2002 00:28:20
> >njs> > +0200 (MET DST)
> >
> >I've no idea what localhost1127.com is...
>
> Exactly.  That is why the sendmail at en5.engelschall.com is broken.  That
> name does not resolve here either - it should include an IP address in the
> Received line as well as a "helo" name.  For it not to do so makes it a
> cloaking device.

Someone modified the default configuration of sendmail (the
HReceived:
configuration line). Please don't hold sendmail responsible for
misconfiguration(s).