-->From: Shalendra Chhabra [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
-->Sent: Tue, June 04, 2002 3:01 PM
-->To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
-->Subject: Errors
-->
-->I need some help
-->
-->1. I am able to generate Certificate and Private Key
-->using command line options in Openssl.
-->can someone tell me are they considered good? and if they are good
-->why do we need Certificates from companies like
-->Microsoft, Verisign???????????
-->
You're right that you can generate private key & certificate *request*
using openssl command line tool. As well you can use browsers/servers U/I
for certificate request and private key generation.
But, creation of certificate - it's already another thing. When you're
signing
certificate request - you should be a *valid* certificate authority. The
regular
"ca" tool of openssl signs your request using "test" certificate authority
(which is
inside OpenSSL by courtesy of OpenSSL developers). If you choose to trust it
- you
should add it to your browsers' trusted certificates list (or to your
servers' trusted
certificates list). Anyway, if you will send this certificate signed by
"test" CA
to anybody else (not your server/browser) - your certificate will not be
trusted by
anybody because nobody else except you knows who's "test" CA is. But, known
companies as Verisign, Thawte, etc. - are known worldwide and if they sign
your certificate you will not have verification problems (at least not CA
verification problems...:-) ). For example, their certificates are part of
default trusted CA
list which you get when you're installing IE or Netscape browsers.
Simply, it's all a matter of trust: are other people trust person who signes

your personal certificate. ;-)
-->
-->
-->2. I have downloaded the OpenSSL 0.9.6 24 Sep 2000
-->version. In
-->openssl-0.9.6d/openssl-0.9.6d/demos/maurice
-->when I write make
-->I get the following errors
-->cc -g -I../../include -Wall   -c -o loadkeys.o loadkeys.c
-->loadkeys.c: In function `ReadPublicKey':
-->loadkeys.c:36: too few arguments to function `PEM_ASN1_read'
-->loadkeys.c: In function `ReadPrivateKey':
-->loadkeys.c:67: too few arguments to function `PEM_ASN1_read'
-->make: *** [loadkeys.o] Error 1
-->
-->when I open loadkeys.c, line 36 is
-->
-->x509 = (X509 *)PEM_ASN1_read ((char *(*)())d2i_X509,
-->                                    PEM_STRING_X509,
-->                                    fp, NULL, NULL);
-->
-->
-->and line 67 is
-->
-->         pkey = (EVP_PKEY*)PEM_ASN1_read ((char
-->*(*)())d2i_PrivateKey,
-->                               PEM_STRING_EVP_PKEY,
-->                               fp,
-->                               NULL, NULL);
-->
-->But when I went to openssl.org I could not find whats the syntax
-->of the
-->PEM_ASN1_read function. Please help what the arguments should
-->be???

How about checking the appropriate ".h" file? You can find the function
with "grep" in Unix or "find" on Windows.

-->Thanks
-->Shalendra
-->Click below to visit monsterindia.com and review jobs in India or
-->Abroad
-->http://monsterindia.rediff.com/jobs
-->
-->OpenSSL Project