I have a Linux Redhat 6.2 system running apache web server.  I'm trying
to update my existing ssl implementation with openssl-0.9.6g.  Existing
config was compiled from source tar.

When I type in "configure" I get:

Operating system: i586-whatever-linux2
This system (linux-elf) is not supported. See file INSTALL for details.

I thought this was wierd since it is a linux-elf system and this was
exactly what I typed in for previous implementation which is 0.9.3a.

So, I moved on to: ./Configure linux-elf, which give me the following:

[root@dns openssl-0.9.6g]# ./Configure linux-elf
Configuring for linux-elf
IsWindows=0
CC            =gcc
CFLAG         =-fPIC -DTHREADS -D_REENTRANT -DDSO_DLFCN -DHAVE_DLFCN_H
-DL_ENDIA
N -DTERMIO -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -m486 -Wall -DSHA1_ASM -DMD5_ASM
-DRMD160_AS
EX_LIBS       =-ldl
BN_ASM        =asm/bn86-elf.o asm/co86-elf.o
DES_ENC       =asm/dx86-elf.o asm/yx86-elf.o
BF_ENC        =asm/bx86-elf.o
CAST_ENC      =asm/cx86-elf.o
RC4_ENC       =asm/rx86-elf.o
RC5_ENC       =asm/r586-elf.o
MD5_OBJ_ASM   =asm/mx86-elf.o
SHA1_OBJ_ASM  =asm/sx86-elf.o
RMD160_OBJ_ASM=asm/rm86-elf.o
PROCESSOR     =
RANLIB        =/usr/bin/ranlib
PERL          =/usr/bin/perl5
THIRTY_TWO_BIT mode
DES_PTR used
DES_RISC1 used
DES_UNROLL used
BN_LLONG mode
RC4_INDEX mode
RC4_CHUNK is undefined
Makefile => Makefile.ssl
make: *** [links] Segmentation fault (core dumped)
[root@dns openssl-0.9.6g]#

This also happens when I go back and try to run ./config or ./Configure
linux-elf from original source tar (the one which is now running).  I
have no idea what to do from here.  Could someone please give me some
suggestions on what may be causing this, and what to do about it?  Thanks.

-ron

--
Ron Parker
Software Creations             http://www.scbbs.com