Further to the earlier missive suggesting an OpenSSL library clash, as it was "destest" that crashed, it is likely there is another DES library in your path, which may not be from OpenSSL.

Try running "destest" manually and finding out a little more information, like where exactly it crashed.

DARCY,MATTHEW (HP-UnitedKingdom,ex2) wrote:

hi,

I am trying to compile openssl-9.6g with shared librarys on solaris 8 on a
Netra T1.

I have mailed this group with this problem before and got some input on how
to fix it, I have tried the input and I am still lost.

I run a ./config --openssldir=/usr/local/ssl -prefix=/usr -shared
this works
I then do a make this works
make test fails and core dumps.

make test
Doing certs
ca-cert.pem => .0
WARNING: Skipping duplicate certificate dsa-ca.pem
WARNING: Skipping duplicate certificate dsa-pca.pem
WARNING: Skipping duplicate certificate factory.pem
WARNING: Skipping duplicate certificate ICE-CA.pem
WARNING: Skipping duplicate certificate ICE-root.pem
WARNING: Skipping duplicate certificate ICE-user.pem
WARNING: Skipping duplicate certificate nortelCA.pem
WARNING: Skipping duplicate certificate pca-cert.pem
WARNING: Skipping duplicate certificate rsa-cca.pem
WARNING: Skipping duplicate certificate thawteCb.pem
WARNING: Skipping duplicate certificate thawteCp.pem
WARNING: Skipping duplicate certificate timCA.pem
WARNING: Skipping duplicate certificate tjhCA.pem
WARNING: Skipping duplicate certificate vsign1.pem
WARNING: Skipping duplicate certificate vsign2.pem
WARNING: Skipping duplicate certificate vsign3.pem
WARNING: Skipping duplicate certificate vsignss.pem
WARNING: Skipping duplicate certificate vsigntca.pem
touch rehash.time
testing...
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/openssl-0.9.6g/test'
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/openssl-0.9.6g/apps'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/openssl-0.9.6g/apps'
./destest
make[1]: *** [test_des] Illegal Instruction (core dumped)
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/openssl-0.9.6g/test'
make: *** [tests] Error 2

Now initially I was using gcc 2.9.5 from sunfreeware.com I was told to use a
more supported/recommended gcc version, so I tried gcc 3.1 (with 3.1 libs)
and now gcc 3.2 with 3.2 libs and I am getting the same result every time.

I really need to understand why openssl is failing, and also get my finger
out and get it working as I then need to re-compile apache / ftp etc etc.

Any help appriciated.

Matt.

/ /\
/ / \
/_/\ __\ \ \_\ \ Matt Darcy
\ \ \/ /\\ \ \/ / GBIT -EMEA, Bristol, UK
\ \ \/ \\ \ / Hewlett-Packard
\ \ /\ \\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \\ \ \ Telnet 312 8859
\ \ \_\/ \ \ \ Telephone +44 (0) 117 312 8859
\ \ \ \_\/ Mobile +44 (0) 776 766 0991
\_\/ Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Automated List Manager [EMAIL PROTECTED]