Yes that was it.  I was literally mailed ascii text that had to be saved to the
server.crt file so I thought it was in PEM format, but apparently it's not.  I
successfully verified my certificate which was all I needed to do.  Thanks!

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker [mailto:levitte@;stacken.kth.se]
Sent: Thursday, November 14, 2002 3:20 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: help needed! error trying to verify a certificate

In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 16:10:07 -0600, "Mitchel, Jennifer (Jem)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

mitchelj>   I am typing the command: ./openssl x509 -noout -text -in server.crt
mitchelj>
mitchelj>   and I am getting the error:
mitchelj>
mitchelj>   unable to load certificate
mitchelj>  19713:error:0906D06C:PEM routines:PEM_read_bio:no start
line:pem_lib.c:663:Expecting:  TRUSTED CERTIFICATE

OpenSSL expects PEM (ASCII) format by default.  server.crt is probably
in raw DER form, so you need to use the following command:

./openssl x509 -noout -text -in server.crt -inform d

--
Richard Levitte   \ Spannvägen 38, II \ [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Redakteur@Stacken  \ S-168 35  BROMMA  \ T: +46-8-26 52 47

Unsolicited commercial email is subject to an archival fee of $400.
See <http://www.stacken.kth.se/~levitte/mail/> for more info.