From: Mark Liu [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, January 27, 2003 08:56
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Does the Web server have to run SSL in order to do certificates?

I am working on an X509 public key certificate
authentication project using Java technology.

The client applies for a certificate from the Web
interface of the CA. Currently, I only want to
consider Internet Explorer.

Question 1:

I run Tomcat 4.1.18 under my win2k box as the CA Web
server. Do I have to run it in SSL mode in order to
handle clients' certificate request?

I got a sample vbscript code for certificate
enrollment from
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url="" security/se
curity/request_sample_in_vbscript.asp
, which I paste in the following:

*** beginning of the sample code *****

classid=""
codebase="" id=Enroll >

classid=""
codebase="" id=Request >

Certificate Enrollment Control Request Sample

*** end of the sample code ****

I saved this code as certreq.html under my web
application folder.

When I visit this page with IE, I get a VBscript
pop-up dialog box, which reads:

Creating PKCS #10 CN=UserName, OU=UserUnit,
O=UserOrg,L=UserCity, S=WA,C=US

I click OK, then I get another VBscript pop-up dialog
box, which reads:

Submitting request
IICdTCCAh8CAQAwldfasldk8425lkasdfasdfADSFASDa/sdfoiuj
aASDFkj9/asldfkadfr98SADkjla0ASDF09rASdfjasdlfkjASDFa
dfoiujlerASDFadfloiwerLKJalkjafoiWERo0lkj934lkasfDlkj
[snip]

It is just a mess of codes.

If I click OK, I get a warning pop-up windows, which
reads:

! An ActiveX Control on this page is not safe.
Your current security settings prohibit running unsafe
controls on this page.
As a result, this page may not display as intended.

And if I click OK, I see another popup windows, which
reads:

Error in Reques t Submit 438

These are all I get with this certreq.html page.

I know there is a big problem with this sample code,
because this code does not specify to which servlet
the PKCS#10 request should be submitted. I want to
specify it, but I have no clue where and how to do
this.

Can you guys please help? Thanks a lot!