> Sorry, I don't have much knowledge of the SSL API's. So have to rely on
the
> published Standards:
> According to http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2246.txt, below is an example of
> calculating overhead:
>
> "Example: If the block length is 8 bytes, the content length
>           (TLSCompressed.length) is 61 bytes, and the MAC length is 20
>           bytes, the length before padding is 82 bytes. Thus, the
>           padding length modulo 8 must be equal to 6 in order to make
>           the total length an even multiple of 8 bytes (the block
>           length). The padding length can be 6, 14, 22, and so on,
>           through 254. If the padding length were the minimum necessary,
>           6, the padding would be 6 bytes, each containing the value 6.
>           Thus, the last 8 octets of the GenericBlockCipher before block
>           encryption would be xx 06 06 06 06 06 06 06, where xx is the
>           last octet of the MAC.
> "
>
> In the above example, I just replace the block length by 16 Bytes, and
> TLSCompressed.length is 144 Bytes (Input to SSL).
> Since I am using SHA1 as the MAC (20 bytes) + 1 Byte padding length, my
> length before padding is 165 bytes. To make it a multiple of 16 Bytes, i
add
> either 11 Bytes or 27 Bytes or
> so on, thus giving a data of either 176, 192 and 208 Bytes.
>
> Add to this the protocol version (1Byte), Content Type (1B) and Length
(2B).
> thus we can have either 180, 196 or 212 Bytes
>
> However, I observe, using a packet sniffer (ethereal), that the SSL layer
> produces an output of 202 bytes (in all my experiments) for input of 144
> bytes.
>
> Am I missing some fields somewhere?
I repeated the experiment with multiple sizes of input, and in everycase, ,
I miss the sniffed output by 6 bytes ..(Even in the above case, we arrived
at 196 bytes, which is less than 212 by 6 bytes)/

I did not find any defined extensions. So will really appreciate if someone
can let me, where am i missing these bytes.
Shank