I know this is slightly off topic, but I  seem to  find better answers
searching the openssl archives on stuff like  this than I do the windows
cryptoapi mailing list.

Is  there a way to install a certificate and the private key on MSIE without
having to go through the import wizard?  Something similar to
enroll.acceptpkcs7?  Specifically why I don't want to use the wizard is that
I want to simplify the import process and not have the user prompted for
things like whether to make the key exportable or whether to use strong
protection.  I would like to just have them prompted for the password and
set  the other  parameters myself.

I realize this  wouldn't be an issue if MSIE generated the private key and
csr, but our PKI structure precludes us from being able to do it that way
and we generate the private key and csr on the server side.  For those
curious why we do that, we need to be able to renew certificates using the
same private key which can  be a major PITA on windows, plus it's a lot
easier to make the whole process work every single time across different
browser types if we handle it all on the server side.

Chris