: [snip]
: can use Java, Delphi, or VB to write the client app in. Are there quality
: ports of openssl libs available for any or all of these languages?

If your client will simply communicate with the server over an
SSL-encrypted network socket, chances are you won't have to use a "port
of openssl". SSL/TLS is a standard so you could use an SSL toolkit
written in the language of your choice and it should[1] work. So, in
theory, you have a number of options.

If you decide to go with Java:
You could try either PureTLS[2] or JSSE[3].  I have no experience with
the former, but with JSSE it's pretty straightforward as long as you
have other Java networking experience: wrap your plain Socket objects in
SSLSocket objects and go.

-QM

[1] = I have Java code that communicates with all kinds of SSL-enabled
services and I've yet to encounter any toolkit compatibility issues.

[2] = I don't have the URL offhand but a search for "PureTLS" and
"Rescorla" should turn up plenty of hits

[3] = http://java.sun.com.  Run a local search for "JSSE" to get the
docs.  The packages are included with JDK 1.4 and there are add-ons for
1.3.

--

C++ / Java / SSL
http://www.brandxdev.net/