Hi Dann.

Dann wrote:
>I can use Java, Delphi, or VB to write the client app in.
>Are there quality ports of openssl libs available for
>any or all of these languages?

I am only a novice with regards to SSL, but I think I can
give you some hints.

1a) If you want to use java to implement your SSL-client
Then I recommend the provider called Bountycastle, available
from:
  http://www.bouncycastle.org/latest_releases.html
This provider has what java1.4.2 lags.
With java1.4.2 and Bountycastle, you should be set to go.

1b) If you want to use java to implement your SSL-client
Then you can use SWIG, available from:
  http://www.swig.org/download.html
and turn openSSL into a java package.
Quote:
"SWIG can be used to turn common C/C++ libraries into
components for use in popular scripting languages."
For a very short tutorial (7 screenfulls on a small tty), see
this page:
  http://www.swig.org/tutorial.html

2a) If you want to use Delphi ...
I don't know, I have not had the need to do SSL with Delphi
yet. One of my mates told me that the newest Enterprise
includes C++ Builder? If it does, you can just compile
openSSL with C++ Builder.

2b) If you want to use Delphi ...
Last time I had to use some C++ source from Delphi, I
compiled the C++ library to a DLL, and created a pasacal-file,
containing the DLL-imports.

3) If you want to use VB ...
I don't know.
If the client machine has ie6 installed, then you may be
able to find out how to use ie6's SSL-features from VB.
It would be fun to see a workable solution in VB.

Best Regards
Stefan