Rich Salz wrote:

we got ahold of an AEP1000 crypto accelerator for testing purposes. I am
stumped. The numbers look horrible.

The openssl "speed" program is not good for testing anything other than the openssl software implementations. It does a repeated single-threaded call to RSA_sign, etc. With hardware crypto, your CPU spends most of its time waiting for data to flow to/from the device (e.g., across the PCI bus). Try running 10 speed tests simultaneously in the background, or write a multi-threaded test, etc.

Speed already does multithreaded (-multi n) - I wrote it when I had to test a multi-pipe crypto board.

Cheers,

Ben.