Elie Lalo wrote:

I know that OpenSSL supports both windows and Unix, and it is used from C and C++ programs. My question is the following:
Can we use OpenSSL from Java programs as well ( I am a new OpenSSL user)?
I am planning on using OpenSSL on Linux and Windows OS, C++ and Java programs.

Java has its own SSL/TLS implementation. If I'm remembering right, it's either called JSSE or is part of JSSE. I've been able to get it to work for the case where the client is Java, the server is OpenSSL, and only the server is authenticated with a cert. The interface on the Java side was a little awkward for my tastes, but it did work. If I tried to add client-side certs to the equation, I could not get JSSE to work. This was more than a year ago and the situation may have improved by now.

In order to get my project going a year ago, I ended up using an open-
source Java implementation of SSL/TLS called PureTLS.  It was written
by Eric Rescorla, who literally wrote the book on the topic.  I found it
easier to get my head around than the JSSE implementation, but that's
likely just my hard-headedness.  :-)

Since Sun has a relatively large budget to throw at making their Java
implementation work, I'd probably try their implementation before anything
else if I needed a Java SSL solution today.  But, don't forget that
PureTLS is out there if you need it.

Paul Allen

--
Boeing Phantom Works                   \ Paul L. Allen, (425) 865-3297
Math & Computing Technology              \ [EMAIL PROTECTED]