Did some research with google and can answer my own question.

If a certificate is compromised (the private key is stolen, etc.) the
certificate needs to be revoked as it will remain valid till the end of it's
term.

Any administrator with access to a cert can revoke the cert. If a challenge
password was specified during the certificate signing request that password
will be required before the cert can be revoked.

So, it seems the sole purpose of the challenge password is to prevent
revocation by someone without the password.

--
Randall Perry
sysTame

Xserve Web Hosting/Co-location