I'm also experiencing the same problem on solaris 2.6 through 9 as
mentioned in thread
make install fails on solaris sparc 8 for 0.9.7e

This did not happen on 0.9.7d, which I built using the same command line

During a make install it appears the Makefile does not make sense?

from fips/sha1/Makefile

install:
        @if test -n "$(EXHEADER)"; then \
          for i in $(EXHEADER) ; \
          do  \
            (cp $$i $(INSTALL_PREFIX)$(INSTALLTOP)/include/openssl/$$i; \
            chmod 644 $(INSTALL_PREFIX)$(INSTALLTOP)/include/openssl/$$i ); \
          done; \
        fi

If EXHEADER is null will this not expand to:

if test -n ""; then \
  for i in ; \
  do
    (cp $i /usr/local/include/openssl/$i; \
     chmod 644 /usr/local/include/openssl/$i ); \
  done; \
fi

that is not valid shell, hence the error is reported:

.../openssl-0.9.7e/fips/sha1# make install
sh: syntax error at line 2: `;' unexpected
*** Error code 2
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `install'

I assume this is what is causing the problem. Has anyone managed to
compile this 0.9.7e on a solaris box? I have 2.6, 7, 8 and 9 and I'm using
Sunfreeware's GCC package Sun's make on all platforms

Chris Pitchford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>