On Mon, Nov 15, 2004, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> The link that outlook appears to use is the serial number, if it does not
> find a certificate with the same serial number as the one in the message
> it will not find the private key to decrypt the message.

This is part of the S/MIME v2 (PKCS#7) standards. The recipient is identified
by the certificates issuer name and serial number.

> I have proven this by forcing the CA command to produce a new certificate
> from the original request and original keys with the same serial number.
> This works - but I was not sure if this is the only way.

The CA commands don't let you easily do this for a good reason. It is a
violation of the standards. The issuer name and serial number should be
unique. If distinct certificates exist with the same issuer name and serial
number quite a lot of software will misbehave or produce hard to trace errors.

> So I now have to decide,
>
> Do I do the above and force renewals to have the same keys, serial number
> and details from the original req.
>
> or do I tell the end users to open old mail they have to have the expired
> certificates on the system to.
>
> I hope the cobversations in this message help others to realize what is
> going on. All the best.

Well unless the software provides a means to reencrypt with a new certificate
the only way is to keep the old certificates and private keys on the system.

Steve.
Funding needed! Details on homepage.