On Mon, Nov 22, 2004, Richard A. Faulk Jr. wrote:

> I have configured a Cisco VPN 3005 concentrator to use digital certificate
> authentication successfully with openssl.  However, whenever I configure the
> concentrator to read the CRL file via http, I receive a Certificate
> validation failure and the VPN client fails to connect.  I am using the same
> CA that is configured on the concentrator to generate the CRL, and the
> certificate on the client has not been revoked.
>
> I am running a Red Hat 8.0 server with OpenSSL 0.9.6b.
>
> I generated the CRL using the following command :
>
> openssl ca -gencrl -keyfile private/cakey.pem -cert cacert.pem -out
> crlfile.crl
>
> I have verified that the concentrator can access this file. (Removing read
> permissions from the file results in an access error on the concentrator.)
>
> The error log entries are as follows:
>
> 351 11/22/2004 15:21:23.850 SEV=5 CERT/116 RPT=18
> Requesting CRL using HTTP. The HTTP URL is:
> http://192.168.1.98/crl/crlfile.crl
>
> 352 11/22/2004 15:21:23.860 SEV=4 IKE/80 RPT=18
> 66.123.111.19
> Group [VPNClient]
> Certificate validation failure, Successful
> (CN=ClientTest, SN=06)
>
> 354 11/22/2004 15:21:23.870 SEV=5 IKE/194 RPT=19 66.123.111.19
> Group [VPNClient]
> Sending IKE Delete With Reason message: No Reason Provided.
>
> Is there something different that I have to do to create a valid CRL that
> meets industry standards? The VPN client can connect successfully if the
> concentrator is not configured to perform CRL checking.  Any help would be
> greatly appreciated.

You might want to try converting the CRL to DER and seeing if it needs a
specific MIME type, you might try application/pkix-crl for example.

You could also try putting invalid data at the relevant URL to see if you get
a different error: that might confirm it was accepting the CRL but wanted some
additional details in its content.

Steve.
Funding needed! Details on homepage.