On 12/08/04 11:44 AM, Louis LeBlanc sat at the `puter and typed:
> <SNIP>
>
> Ok, I finally figured this one out.
>
> It was the cipher list after all.
>
> My initial configuration used the list [EMAIL PROTECTED], which was intended
> to maximize the list of ciphers used while giving preference to weaker
> ciphers - to minimize overhead.  Problem is the server in question was
> choking on one of them before it got the one it liked.
>
> When I changed the cipher list to DEFAULT, it worked fine.  Of course,
> DEFAULT is normally defined as ALL:!ADH:RC4+RSA:+SSLv2:@STRENGTH.  I
> also tried a tweak to this list: ALL:RC4+RSA:+SSLv2:+ADH:@STRENGTH,
> which also worked.  So I'm speculating that there is some kind of hangup
> with the ADH ciphers.  I haven't kept up on them in the last several
> years, but I seem to remember that they were nontrivial to generate
> certs for and use.
>
> So that's it.  Configuration error, and nothing wrong with OpenSSL or my
> code :)
>
> Thanks Dr. Henson for providing feedback on this issue.

Turns out the client was configured even more narrowly than I initially
realized.  The ciphers being used were EXPORT only.  Of course this
leaves out the RC4+RSA ciphers altogether.

Still leaves the question why OpenSSL couldn't report the fact that no
cipher could be agreed upon.  Is there any way I can catch that state?

Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.keyslapper.org                     ԿԬ