Hi Jeffrey,

Thanks for your response.

So, is it a standard that the SSL enabled 'server app send the certificate
chain, or just something that the app 'should' do?

How can I test what certificates the server is actually sending back?  I
know that uw-imapd doesn't send the whole chain, and that Apache does.
Just to give yet another example -- our exim mail server allows TLS for
incoming mail.  The mail server uses the hash files to find the
certificates for the CA, and has a certificate file which contains our own
certificate (signed by an Intermediate CA).  I thought that the exim
server was sending out the Intermediate CA certificate because when I
tried to send a message using a slightly older than new version of Linux
Mozilla that did not know about the Intermediate CA, it worked.  However,
I then got complaints for our PC users using the same version of Mozilla
that they were getting messages that the Intermediate CA was unknown!  I
added the Intermediate CA certificate to the end of the server certificate
that I was sending back to the client, and now the PC users were happy.
Either exim is sending the full chain out and there was a bug in the
Windows version of Mozilla that I was running, or, the Unix version of
Mozilla i was running did not completely check the chain!  Is there a
client program I can run on both the Unix and Windows side to test exactly
what certificates are being sent from the server to the client?

Thanks,

Jason Keltz
[EMAIL PROTECTED]