On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 10:13:38 -0600, Chevalier, Victor T.
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am trying to create a hirearchy for my CA's...however when I have two
> separate CA's created similarly:
>
> On box 1 Main CA:
> openssl req -newkey rsa:2048 -days 4380 \
> -out cacert.pem -outform PEM -config openssl.cnf
>
> On box 2 Subordinate CA:
> openssl req -newkey rsa:2048 -days 2190 \
> -out cacert.pem -outform PEM -config openssl.cnf

> I try to sign the subordinate CA with the main ca like this:
> On box1 in the main CA directory:
> openssl ca -in box2/SubCA/cacert.pem -config openssl.cnf
>
> I get an error something along the lines of Expecting: CERTIFICATE
> REQUEST

You actually want to sign the CSR for box2, not the certificate
itself. You also probably don't need to generate a self-signed
certificate on box 2 anyway, since the real certificate you want is
box 2's CSR signed by box 1's CA. That certificate should then be
valid for 2190 days...

Morgan