-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Herman
Sent: Sunday, April 24, 2005 1:29 PM
To: openssl-users@openssl.org
Subject: What is openssl.so?

Hi everybody,

Just some schtoopidt questions:
I compiled and installed OpenSSL and it seems to work. (I am using
Webmin and HTTPS connections work.)

I am actually trying to get FreeRadius to work and it has trouble
finding the MD5xxxxxx functions:
/root/sw/freeradius/freeradius-1.0.2/src/lib/.libs/libradius.so:
undefined reference to `MD5Final'

which lead me down a long and winding road trying to figure out how
OpenSSL should be installed and removing all redundant/old cruft that
may be confusing the FreeRadius build.

In /lib I have an old file openssl.so.0.9.6b I don't have a file called
openssl.so anywhere, but I do have openssl.a

Questions:
What is the difference between .a and .so files?
Can I delete the old openssl.so.0.9.6b file?

Any other ideas that may help me get the Radius/SSL configuration
figured out?

Regards,
--
Herman

This e-mail is confidential.  If you are not the intended recipient, you must
not disclose or use the information contained in it.  If you have received this
e-mail in error, please tell us immediately by return e-mail to [EMAIL
PROTECTED] and delete the document.

E-mails containing unprofessional, discourteous or offensive remarks violate
Sentry policy. You may report employee violations by forwarding the message to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

No recipient may use the information in this e-mail in violation of any civil
or criminal statute. Sentry disclaims all liability for any unauthorized uses
of this e-mail or its contents.

This e-mail constitutes neither an offer nor an acceptance of any offer. No
contract may be entered into by a Sentry employee without express approval from
an authorized Sentry manager.

Warning: Computer viruses can be transmitted via e-mail. Sentry accepts no
liability or responsibility for any damage caused by any virus transmitted with
this e-mail.