On Wed, May 25, 2005, Madhu Sudhan Reddy wrote:

> Hello Dr Stephen, Thank you very much for your kind response.
>
> Below I am explaining the actual problem I am facing.
>
> I am presently developing JAVA wrapper for the signature functionality,
> the JAVA sign() function returns signature in CMS format.
>
> But inside JAVA sign() function I used OpenSSL to generate signature in
> PKCS #7 format.
>
> While testing sign() function with Auto test java application it is
> returning Invalid CMS.
>
> Just I want to know is it because of format incompatibility between CMS
> and PKCS #7? or any other reason.
>
> Any comment on this is greatly helpful for me.

It is very unlikely that an OpenSSL PKCS#7 structure will be incompatible with
a CMS implementation. If you use, for example, PKCS7_sign() this can never
happen.

You could see if OpenSSLs smime utility can verify the signature from Java and
vice versa. If they will then there's a problem with your OpenSSL code.

Steve.
Funding needed! Details on homepage.