Dr. Stephen Henson wrote:

>Where was the private key used created? Was it generated under CryptoAPI or
>imported as a PKCS#12 file from an external source?

It was created using OpenSSL - turned into a p12 and imported.

>Due to various deficiencies in the internal format for Windows private keys
>there are some which it can use the public key but not the private key because
>it can't be represented in its format. An example if if the two primes are of
>different size.

Unless you know something specific to Outlook, I don't think that's the
problem. We use the same method to create standard user certs for
accessing HTTPS web sites - and they work fine under Windows/MSIE.

The other thing is that I can use Outlook to send an encrypted email to
myself, then access that mailbox using Thunderbird (with the same cert)
- and Thunderbird reads it fine. So Outlook must have successfully used
the private key to do the encryption. It's weird - it can generate
encrypted emails, but can't read them...

Is anyone successfully using S/MIME within Outlook? I don't expect many
on this list to be Outlook users - but I expect a lot are like me and
mainly have Outlook users surrounding them :-)

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417