Hi,

Here is something working fine in 0.9.7x but failing in 0.9.8 (as far as i have
tested it).

My engine name is "zencod" as you could see.

        openssl_conf = openssl_init

        [ openssl_init ]
        # Extra OBJECT IDENTIFIER info:
        #oid_file               = $ENV::HOME/.oid
        oid_section             = new_oids
        engines                 = engine_section

        # Load 'zencod' ENGINE
        [ engine_section ]
        zencod = zencod_section

        [ zencod_section ]
        # classic 'dynamic' ENGINE ctrl commands
        dynamic_path = /usr/local/ossl-0.9.7h/lib/engines/libzencod-0.9.7.so
        engine_id = zencod
        # 'zencod' specific one
        ALGO = "SYM"

Just put thing like that at the beginning of you openssl.cnf file.
PS: the ALGO is one of our specific command. ;)

Hope it could help.

Fred